Saturday, April 25, 2009

NFL Draft and College recruiting reek of infatuation with "Measurables"

Like most years at this time, I spent part of the weekend watching the NFL Draft and channel surfing between Major League Baseball games and the NBA Playoffs.

I used to watch the entire draft due to professional obligations as a freelance writer for Silver & Black Illustrated, owned by American Sports Media, which is a company that hasn’t outgrown the slavery era (meaning assign writers work and pay them so late they have to beg for their paycheck). S&BI covers the Oakland Raiders, whom I had the chance to cover from 1999-2005.

Now I just watch the draft with passing interest to see whom the Bay Area NFL franchises select and where our beloved Nebraska players get drafted. In one respect, the NFL Draft is somewhat similar to college football recruiting in that it’s an inexact science.

Don’t you just love listening to Mel “I Have Plenty Of Hair” Kiper?

Sometimes first-rounders in the NFL and five-star recruits in college live up to the hype. Others – they turn out to be a bust. If a walk-on in college or Round 4 or later pick does not out, so what, you didn’t think they would. If they turn into a key contributor, so much the better.

With the NFL Draft and college football recruiting, it never ceases to amaze me how much announcers and scouts get so uber-infatuated with the “measurables” such as 40-yard dash times, how many times a guy can bench press 225 pounds, vertical leap, etc. Doesn’t the ability to play the game count for something?

How many times does a guy run straight down the field uninhibited for 40 yards? Heck, 10-yard dashes mean more in my book.

With quarterbacks, I get nauseated beyond belief every time I hear about “arm strength” or lack thereof. Remember Joe Montana? He never had the strongest arm but dammitt all he did was beat you. Doesn’t throwing the ball accurately count for something? I mean, throwing the ball 60 yards downfield is one thing but talk to me arm strength if the ball is overthrown. In my world leadership, ability to read defenses, leadership and mobility within the pocket matter most.

At running back and for that matter wide receiver, speed is also overrated unless a guy is in the open field. Quickness matters more because if a defender does not get a clean hit, the back or receiver is less susceptible to injury. For running back, give me a guy with quickness, vision, good hands and the ability to pick up blitzes.

At receiver, I say the hell with height too. Just because a receiver is 6-foot-3, he height advantage means nothing if he lacks desire to get the ball. So what matters most at receiver? Hands. What a concept. You have to catch the damn ball. Run precise routes and beat press coverage.

As for linemen, don’t tell me about size. That’s about as meaningless as how hard a baseball pitcher throws. If a big lineman cannot move, he’s of no good to you, me or the man on the moon. If a baseball pitcher throws 97 miles-an-hour, who gives a rat’s behind if he doesn’t throw strikes. Give me quickness off the ball, good technique and the ability to execute their assignment.

Same thing with defensive linemen and linebackers, plus give me the ability to shed blocks and make good solid tackles. With defensive backs, give me confidence, footwork, and quickness.

With every player across the board give me intelligence and character.

No comments:

Post a Comment